Here’s a great recipe for meatless Monday! Everything tastes better with a little (or a lot of) pesto!
This recipe was adapted from a restaurant that my parents love in Connecticut. We tried to recreate it, and we think it’s better than the original. This recipe is very healthy and includes all my favorite vegetables, including:
Tomato Sauce (we’ll say it’s a vegetable)
The restaurant apparently doesn’t add mozzarella cheese – so we made it our own and added slices of mozzarella balls. But seriously, everything is better with cheese!
To make it a vegan recipe, feel free to remove the cheese and enjoy a vegan meal. For all your cheese lovers, I hope you COVER it with cheese. Hope you all enjoy!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bag of fresh spinach
- 1 8oz package slice mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1/3 cup pesto (add more to taste)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce of your choice (big fan of Rao's)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 Mozzarella cheese balls (can use shredded as well)
- Parmesan cheese (to taste)
- To save time, we microwaved the spaghetti squash. Cut spaghetti squash in half and put in large microwave safe dish with cover. Microwave for 8-9 minutes. Once finished, you should be able to scrape out spaghetti squash strands.
- Transfer spaghetti squash strands into a large soufflé dish (it's important the dish is high for layering purposes).
- Add a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Preheat oven to 325 deg F.
- While spaghetti squash is cooking in the microwave, use a julienne peeler to cut the zucchini, carrot and yellow squash.
- Thinly cut the onion and mushrooms.
- In large saucepan, add olive oil and turn heat to medium high.
- Sauté the zucchini, yellow squash, onions and carrots until soft (3-5min).
- Add in the mushrooms and sauté for another few minutes.
- Add the spinach to the vegetable mixture and cook for another few minutes.
- Once vegetables look cooked (make sure to keep them a little al denote and not mushy), add in pesto and mix until pesto is evenly coated on the vegetables.
- Transfer vegetables to soufflé dish on top of the spaghetti squash and tomato sauce. Cut mozzarella cheese balls into slices and add to the top (you can also just sprinkle on shredded mozzarella cheese until desired cheesiness acquired)
- Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and enjoy! We served this with more tomato sauce and added some Parmesan cheese.