FREE CHEESE tasting in the Houston Heights!!!
Don’t have to tell us more than once. We finally had the chance to check out Houston Dairymaids located on 2201 Airline Drive. This adorable shop is known for its handmade cheeses from Texas and other parts of the country. They also have wine, beer, food oriented gift items (jams, olive oil, membrillo, etc) and most importantly TASTINGS. Just note, they are open Tuesday through Friday 10am to 6pm, and on Saturdays from 10am to 4pm. Therefore, there are limited times to come check out the shop and their cheese tasting. Better plan accordingly!
First off, the parking at the shop was limited so we had to park on a side street. Secondly, there is a giant CHEESE sign outside that made us “cheese” as soon as we saw it. Not because it was funny but because we were so excited for our cheese samples! Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted by a worker asking if we’d like to do the cheese tasting. Ummmmmm OF COURSE!
A few minutes later they brought us up to the front where our gracious and hilarious cheese connoisseur gave us the run down of today’s “cheesy goodness” as they call it. Each week they hand select 6 cheese that they will feature and we got some good ones 🙂
We were lucky enough to try:
- Willoughby – In texture, this reminded us of a Brie type of cheese. It had great flavoring. The woman leading the tasting told us that you are supposed to eat the rind because it adds to the flavor of the cheese. Who knew eating the rind was a must (unless it’s real wax)!
- White Buck – This goat cheese had a similar flavor to blue cheese…interesting stuff.
- Roth’s Private Reserve – This cheese had very good flavor. One of our favorites and we brought a 1/4lb home!
- Roelli Haus Select – Cheddar cheese from Wisconsin. We ended up buying a 1/4 lb of this. So good! We learned that you will only find orange cheddar cheese in the U.S. This is because we use a natural food coloring to make it orange.
- Latte Da Cotswold – This is a local Texas made cheese from goats. Also a very good one.
- Smokey Blue – this was a very smoky blue cheese. Not one of Carley’s favorites, but if you like blue cheese you will probably enjoy it
All in all, we had a great experience, and we would definitely go back to do another tasting and buy more cheese. We were thinking how smart it is that they do these free tastings because they really go through each cheese and answer any questions you have. You’ll want to buy all of the cheeses at the end; they were that good :-P. Note, that you can buy the cheeses in 1/4lb, 1/3lb, 1/2lb, and 1lb blocks.
They also will pair wine, if available, with your cheese tasting. We ended our tasting with a sample of honey that was amazing. Great way to end it all. Our trip ended on a sweet note for sure. We’re looking forward to eating the 1/2lb of cheese we bought and going to another tasting in the future!
The Tiny Two Talk