Happy July 4th everyone! We hope everyone is having an amazing three day weekend.
As promised, here is the delicious 7 layer taco dip recipe. The recipe was adapted from Mariah’s Pleasing Plates – but I put my own spin on it.
I liked Mariah’s Pleasing Plates recipe because it took out some unhealthy aspects of your typical 7 layer dip. First layer she used reduced fat refried beans. Can’t say that I could taste the difference, so it was well worth saving the extra calories.
The next layer Mariah’s recipe called for using hummus in lieu of sour cream. This replacement was a great idea. She suggests mixing in taco seasoning with the hummus. Made the dip a lot healthier and still really yummy. My friends loved it!
This is when I stopped following Mariah’s recipe and started making it my own…. No taco dip is complete without some meat. Sorry to all my vegetarian friends out there, but yeah. I added a layer of Mexican cheese and a layer of ground turkey/beef meat with taco seasoning. A great addition, if I say so myself :).
Then I added a layer of guacamole, who doesn’t love guac!
Mariah’s recipe calls for pico de gallo, I nixed that and just put regular salsa.
Now onto layer 7 – a layer of cheese topped with tomatoes, beans, and olives. To make this 4th of July themed, I used the tomatoes as the red of the American flag, and then the olives/beans as the blue part of the flag. I call it artistic liberties.
I didn’t end up baking it because the Texas heat and humidity made the cheese melt. I guess that’s one good thing about living here :-P. If you do want to bake it, I would advise not adding the tomatoes (unless you like baked tomatoes) until after you heat it in the oven. Hope you all enjoy this recipe! It was honestly amazing…my friends and myself really enjoyed it.
1 can (14oz) Non Fat refried beans
1 container (10oz) roasted red pepper hummus
1 packet Taco Seasoning (1/2 for hummus, 1/2 for meat)
1 jar (16oz) Chunky Red Salsa
1 container (10oz) guacamole
1 lb of ground beef (I used turkey and ground beef)
1 (8oz) bag of Mexican blend cheese (to make healthier you can use reduced fat cheese – it just won’t melt as well)
1 can black beans
Cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
1 small can of olives
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Put 1lb of ground meat of choice in skillet and cook until meat is no longer red.
- Add 1/2 taco seasoning packet and add about 1/3cup of water to skillet. Mix well and let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 9″x13″ glass pan, spread the first layer of refried beans. Make sure the entire pan is covered.
- Mix 1/2 a packet of taco seasoning in with the hummus. Then once mixed, add the second layer to the refried beans.
- Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese (use half of the bag).
- Layer cooked meat over cheese.
- Then add a layer of guacamole and then a layer of salsa.
- Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese on top. If you want to cook the dip, this would be the time. If not, cut cherry tomatoes in half and put in rows to create a flag. On top left corner add the black beans and olives. If this is not for an “American occasion”, feel free to do a layer of black beans/olives instead of putting it in the corner.
Hope you all enjoy!